Safe Topics Massacree
During the three-day work week, many of my co-workers were consumed with what to talk about over the holiday so as to avoid hot-button issues.
In passing, during lunch, and at the end of the day as we were leaving, we’d come up with topics that we thought might be somewhat safe.
Each time we’d come up with something, the self-appointed curmudgeon among us would demonstrate how that topic would lead directly down the line to a hot-button issue.
By the end of the three days, I jokingly told him that his family was going to be inundated with politics and religion no matter what the topic might be. He chuckled and told me that I was probably right.
Here’s what made our short list:
- Thoughts on Turducken
Art Exhibit at a local college(which incidentally had two pieces we weren’t aware of. The first was called “Safe Spaces” and the second was called “Don’t Grab our P*ssies” so this was quite quickly removed from the list).
- The World Series
- Wibbly-wobbly, timey wimey stuff (we all love Doctor Who and are pining for it)
- Netflix – The Crown
- Should we buy Doc McStuffins toys for the kiddos
- Thoughts on the Suicide Squad Soundtrack
- Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them (which prompted a whole conversation of what we considered magical beasts and where we would look to find them)
- To Black Friday or to not Black Friday
- The Serial Killer in our area – this was the self-appointed curmudgeon’s contribution to not talking about hot button issues and making “pleasant” conversation at Thanksgiving dinner.
- (Because #2 was removed, we needed an 11th) Advice to give Brangelina for their upcoming divorce
On Wednesday afternoon as we were leaving, our little group felt well prepared to avoid conversations that would create hot button issues.
There was absolutely no way I was able to avoid political or religious conversation at any function, at any time during the Thanksgiving holidays.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Hope all of you had a Thanksgiving meal that just couldn’t be beat.
Stop by my Instagram and check out some of the highlights from our Thanksgiving Holidays. I’ll be adding a few more throughout the week.